Sunday, September 24, 2006

Silk Shrug

Silk Shrug
Pattern: Silk Shrug
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpaca & Silk in Mocha
Needles: KnitPicks circular Size 2 and 6
Start Date: September 7, 2006
End Date: September 23, 2006
Comments: Tiny needles. Endless stockinette. Picking up 300 stitches. Expensive yarn. These are the reasons I should dislike this shrug. However, these things are outweighed by the following: Beautiful stitches, shimmering yarn, elegantly simple design, silk & alpaca. As soon as it is dry I'll be sure to post a picture of me wearing it, but for now all I've got is the boring drying-in-progress shot (I think this photo kind of makes the shrug look like the little green guy on the cover of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

The pattern was very simple and easy to follow. Perfect mindless TV watching knitting. I really have nothing bad to say about it. The yarn was a pleasure to work with and I would knit with it again in a heartbeat. The only complaint I have about it is that it is a little splitty, but the end result more than makes up for that.

The Besotted Scarf and Elizabeth I lace scarf will now get a bit more attention. Hopefully I can finish these to meet my September goals. (I have doubts I'll get around to finishing the Trinket scarf...we'll see.) The Koigu socks are going very well so I am sure they'll be done by the end of the week. Here's a group photo of all my works in progress:)

Oh, and for super socky fun, check out Northern Sunshine Designs for some fabulous sock patterns. I've already bought a few (Marmalade, Cedar Bark, and Agate Bay) and they are very well done. The designs are fun, they are written in a very user friendly format, and they are a great price. What more can you want?

And if you truly love knitting socks, be sure to sign up for Lolly's Socktoberfest which celebrates all things about handknit socks! Feel the socktacular love:)

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Now we just need the "action" shot of the shrug. Love those socks - koigu? And I did a Besotted Scarf awhile back too - still haven't blogged it yet though - keep forgetting to take photos!

Kim in Oregon said...

Hope you;'ll post a pic of you in the shrug, it looks beautiful, and a terrific color.

Dave said...

Wow, that Koigu looks nice -- absolutely wonderful colours!!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog by doing a search for the Alpaca Silk Shrug. I was hoping I could find someone working on it and how they liked the yarn, etc. because I have to order it online without seeing it. So, thanks for the great information. I just ordered it and can't wait to get started. For anyone else that is interested, I ordered it from kpixie.com and the kit for this item is on sale. Yeah! Thanks again!

kathy b said...

Alyssa

Will be waiting for the wearing of that beautiful shrug post.

Your drive makes my whining over swing coat really pathetic!