I started to get nervous about being 30 during the past year. Before then I had always been one of those people that firmly believed getting upset about being a certain age or espousing the virtue of any particular age range was just silly. Then I started my last year of my 20's. I had younger friends asking if I was freaked about turning 30 and older friends declaring that their 30's have been their best years. I thought about all I have not accomplished - I don't have a career, I don't own a house, I don't have any children, etc. Now, as the actual day has arrived I realize I was working myself up simply because, it seems, that is what is expected of a person turning 30.
Instead of being concerned about things that have not happened yet, today I am celebrating all of the things I have accomplished in the past 30 years - here's just a sampling in no particular order:
- Married M (how can I ever be unhappy with my life when I have my husband at my side?)
- I made it through grade school, high school (that was a close one), college, and law school.
- Developed wonderful friendships with numerous family members and other people in my life.
- Had/have numerous pets that have made my life better.
- Visited some other countries (Colombia, Germany, & the BVI to name a few).
- Read some wonderful books.
- Knit knit knit.
- Voted in every election I could since I was 18.
- Passed the Bar Exam.
- Laughed daily.
I look forward to the future. I am hopeful that it will hold many exciting and new developments. If nothing more, I'm sure it will offer me time to be with those that I love, read a few good books, and knit away.