This weekend I did not get as much knitting done as I had hoped to -- pesky housework got in the way. At least I am no longer scared of our bathroom:) Official status on current works in progress is as follows:
Eris: I have nearly completed the collar -- I am loving the cables!
Ruffles: All done and I made a matching Kittyville hat (from Stitch 'n Bitch) too.
Irish Hiking Hat: (based on the basic cable hat in Stitch 'n Bitch Nation, but with adjustments as detailed by KnitChick). This hat almost ended in tragedy as I ran out of yarn an inch from the end (see first photo), but I bravely ripped back just enough so that I could decrease earlier and complete it. It looks really good and M asked if he could have one too!
Here and There Cables Scarf: I looked at it....that's about it.
Toe-Up Sock: I think I hate this sock. I like cuff down. My short-row heel looks crappy. The yarn is too great to be treated so poorly. :(
Since secret pal assignments are going out in a few short hours, I now give you my answers to the Secret Pal 6 questionnaire....
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I am mostly a yarn snob. I pretty much avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand, but I am currently using Caron Simply Soft and Lion Brand Glitterspun for a Harry Potter scarf. However, I'm also using merino wool for a few projects right now too. Overall, I would say I'm 95% yarn snob (I have a real weakness for shiney yarns...).
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I do not spin nor am I very interested in learning -- it would cut into my knitting time! I am a reformed crocheter... I spent years avoiding knitting and only crocheted because it seemed so fast. Well, I never really loved the end product of crochet so I have now focused all my attention on knitting. I can now knit as fast as I used to crochet -- yea!
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Nope (but I am recently a non-smoker, so I'm a little sensitive to the smell of smoke).
4. How long have you been knitting?
My mom first taught me how to knit when I was 7 or 8. However, aside from many malformed scarves and cat blankets I never really progressed until a year or so ago when I became completely and utterly obsessed with knitting. So, 20 years going on 1:)
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes -- I even have a knitting wish list in my Amazon wish list:)
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love coffee, vanilla, cherry, cinnamon, lemon. Pretty much everything except raspberry. I don't like raspberry. Blech.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
I have more than one:)
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Not too much aside from knitting. I read, watch movies, and play videogames.... Sometimes I cross-stitch. Not so much any more.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I love 80's music. Huge fan of new wave, e.g. Depeche Mode, Morrissey, the Pixies. I also adore Cat Stevens. And Phish. And the White Stripes.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
That is always such a tough question. I really love all colors. I'm drawn mostly to earthy vibrant colors, like forest green and chocolate brown. I love pinks and purples too. I guess I'm not a huge fan of orange. Well, I like orange....just don't know what to do with it:)
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm married to a wonderful man and we have three cats (our furry children).
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
My life's dream (in no particular order) is to be a great wife, a great mother, and an overall good human being. I want to go to sleep at night with no worries beyond what shall I knit next:)
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I love all the KnitPicks yarns I've tried so far and Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock. Rowan is great too. Malabrigo....mmmm....Malabrigo.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'm not a huge fan of most cottons. Cotton needs to be blended to make me happy:) Acrylic is generally also on the no-no list (except for the previously mentioned Harry Potter scarves).
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Socks and sweaters. I have a million future projects for both and just as much yarn! I'm really into cables right now.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks. I really like knitting most things. I try to always have projects going that demand different levels of attention so that I have one thing I can work on while watching TV, one thing I can take to knitting group, another that needs my full attention, etc.
17. What are you knitting right now?
Numerous holiday gifts (mostly scarves from Scarf Style) and I have just started the Eris cardigan. Oh, and a Harry Potter Ravenclaw Scarf.
18. What do you think about ponchos?
I don't think of them much.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I tend to knit everything on circulars and double-points. I started knitting a scarf recently on straights and after a few inches switched to circular.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I love bamboo and I have a denise set (plastic) which I'm quite fond of.
21. Are you a sock knitter?
Yup, and I'm a bit addicted to it (and the lovely yarns). I've only just started though, so I'm still learning.
22. How did you learn to knit?
My mom taught me the basics. The rest I learned from books and the internet.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Well, I have a crocheting UFO that has been ignored since I became more of a knitter than a crocheter. It's a massive afghan that I'm half-way through....I'm really not sure if it will ever be finished....I haven't touched it for at least 6 months....
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I have many, to name just a few: I love Hello Kitty, the Smurfs, Bucky and Satchel from Get Fuzzy, and the Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I'm a huge Simpsons fan too. And Wallace and Gromit. As for animals, I love cats and sharks. I'm also rather fond of penguins and sheep.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
All of the holiday time surrounding the winter solstice:)
26. Is there anything that you collect?
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Any of the Elizabeth Zimmerman books, Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns, a good stylish kid's knitting book (I have a new nephew and a 2 year old niece).
29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another??
I love Rogue (but I'm scared of her too)...Hopeful....Hermione's Cable and Bobble Mittens....