Friday, January 20, 2006

Keep On Stitchin' On

Froth Pattern: Froth (free pattern for joining Rowan International)
Yarn: Rowan Kidsilk Haze -Dewberry
Needle Size: 6
Start Date: November 18, 2005
Finish Date: January 11, 2006
Comments: Froth is complete! It is light and soft and lovely. I am very pleased with how this turned out. I wet blocked it and pinned it out to really add some length and definition. It is a shorter scarf, but so girly pretty that I can't resist wearing it. Well worth joining Rowan International! I think I may knit more of these as gifts since it only takes 2 balls of Kidsilk Haze and it was a quick, fun knit.

Fairly Easy Fair Isle
Here is a picture of me wearing my Fairly Easy Fair Isle. (Details: Pattern: Fairly Easy Fair Isle from Stitch 'N Bitch Nation; Yarn: Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky in Onyx, Raspberry, Lotus Pink, and Victorian Pink; Needle Size: Size 11; Pattern Size: Medium).

Broken Needle/Trinket
I cast on for Trinket last weekend and after only 2 repeats my never-been-used size 2 Crystal Palace bamboo circular needles broke! The bamboo tip pulled out from the metal join. Ugh. So, I quickly placed an order to KnitPicks and received my package Thursday (ordered Sat., holiday Monday, free shipping, rec'd Thursday!). I decided to try Bryspun needles and I am thrilled! They have excellent points and flex nicely in hand. I am very glad I tried these. I think they may be my choice of needle for the upcoming Knitting Olympics. So, Trinket is coming along nicely, but so far I've only completed 3 repeats of many many more to come. It's a neat little pattern and, of course, the Rowan Kidsilk Haze is lovely.

Tiger Sock
M's Tiger socks are progressing very well. I'm almost to the toe decreases of the first sock. I've been enjoying knitting this sock as I've gotten to the point where basic socks take very little focus. Therefore, I am free to concentrate on the 4th season of 24 which we are watching madly so as to catch up to the current season.


Veste Everest
I've completed about 4 or 5 inches of my Veste Everest from Interweave Knits Winter 2005. I'm using some Jaeger Luxury Tweed that I got on Ebay from one of my favorite yarn dealers. The color is Lavandula. I'm torn whether this is really the right yarn for this project. I got gauge, but I'm a little tiny bit open between my stitches in the non-cabled parts. If I hold it up, stretched against a brighter color nothing shows through, so I don't know why I feel it is to thin. I swatched in KnitPicks Wool of the Andes a day or 2 ago and really liked the cables in that, but I like this too. The two different yarns create very different looks. I think I'll continue on with the Jaeger as it is so soft and cozy, but if I decide I want another vest when I'm done, I will be sure to consider Wool of the Andes.

My So Called Scarf
I started this the other night as I was waiting for my Bryspun needles to arrive for Trinket. I actually tried 3 other stitch patterns for this yarn before I was satisfied. I had always intended to knit the Besotted Scarf with this Malabrigo in Little Lovely, but after a couple repeats, it was plain that the coloring of this yarn was obscuring the cables. Then I picked out a couple different patterns from my new Vogue Stitchionary book, but was not thrilled with either. As My So Called Scarf has been on my to-knit list for ages I decided to give it a try and I'm very pleased with the result.

Nakiska
Pattern: Nakiska
Yarn: KnitPicks Ambrosia Grass
Needle Size: 4 (bound off with 8's)
Size: Adult s/m
Comments: Super quick, satisfying knit. Took around 3 hours from swatching to binding off. Unfortunately I bound off way way too tightly the first time so I had tink back and rebind off (extremely frustrating -grrr!). Even using 8's the second time, my bind off edge is still much tighter than my cast on. In the end though I have a very soft and cute ear warmer. I will definitely be making more of these as gifts (and maybe a couple more different colors for me). The KnitPicks Ambrosia worked beautifully for this, but I think I may try getting some of the Classic Elite Lush that was used in the original pattern. Any opinions on that yarn?

6 comments:

Karin said...

Nice pictures! Love the so-called scarf, and the FEFI looks lovely too.

Anonymous said...

Your FEFI looks wonderful! I think the Froth scarf seals the deal -- now I'm going to have to break down and join Rown International. I just love Malabrigo for the colors and texture, but the strong smell of dye that remains on the wool bothers me.

kathy b said...

Alyssa

Fairly easy fair isle photo is so great of you and the sweater. Great post photos. You are busy.

My so Called is on my list to do as well. Will you bring it to GROUP tuesday night so I may see it please?

Chicago Jen said...

OMG!! Aren't you the many-project-knitter!! You look faboo in your FEFI and I love my So-Called Scarf which I did in Manos Wildflowers. It's my everyday scarf which I'm sure you've seen before. I was looking at Blushes R.Crack Silk Haze at Cucumber patch and almost thought about purchasing but decided to keep stash knitting for alittle while longer. I'll miss you on Tuesday but maybe we can work something out for later.

Webbies said...

Veste Everest looks nice. I really enjoyed knitting that one!

knit_chick said...

Your Fair Isle sweater looks great on you! You did a great job on it.