Sunday, July 02, 2006

July is Sock Month!

June's goals are all essentially met: both bags need to be lined and assembled, but I haven't had a chance to go to the fabric store, so they'll be finished in a little while and the Shaped Neck Tee is busy drying in this lovely July heat - pictures soon! The green Cable Rib Socks just need one more toe and their ends to be woven in then a quick wash- again, pictures coming soon:)

So now we are on to July. I'm going to be a little kooky here and make July Sock Month. I know. I knit socks each month, but I usually have other big projects going on. Not this time. July is all about socks. As you may have noticed in my last post (and thank you everyone for your happy comments), I've got a bit of sock yarn so I thought it would be fun to see how many pairs I could knit during July - 6 pairs is my overall target!

1) Fiber Trends Peak Experience Socks in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock -Bittersweet
2)Plain Sock with Picot Cuff in Vesper Sock Yarn Strange Little Mama
3) Basket Weave Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks in Sunshine Yarns -Shamrock
4) Elongated Corded Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock -Poppy
5) Basket Weave Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock -Parfait
6) Daisy Socks Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock -Desert Flower

Here's the start to the Peak Experience Socks. The Lorna's is knitting up beautifully, as always. I just love the Bittersweet colorway! I had considered knitting the very popular Jaywalker pattern with this yarn, but with my size 10 feet I was concerned there wouldn't be enough give to get the sock over my heel. The Peak Experience pattern is very similar to the Jaywalker, but I think it might have a tad more stretch plus I added a repeat. Now I have an uneven repeat count so when it comes time work the instep I'll have to work something out...

In the spirit of sock month, my other project on the needles is another sock (I mean, I've got two sock bags from Trek, right? So I need to use both of them...). Here is the start of my first Vesper sock. The color is Strange Little Mama and I am thrilled with this yarn. The colors and texture are fantastic. I'm using my brand-spanking new KnitPicks double point needles - these tips are sharp! So far, I'm enjoying the nickel-plated needles which surprises me a bit. Before using these, my preferred double point needle was bamboo (Crystal Palace are my favs), but I am really enjoying the point on these needles (I may even order another couple sets).

1 comment:

aija said...

Great July project! :) They'll all be great socks!