Pattern: Basket Weave Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks
Yarn: Sunshine Yarns by Dani in Shamrock
Needle: KnitPicks size 1 dpns
Start Date: July 8, 2006
Finish Date: July 17, 2006
Comments: These socks were a blast to knit. The pattern really works well with the short color repeats and the yarn itself was a pleasure to knit. Unfortunately this particular yarn is not superwash, but, happily, all of Sunshine Yarn's new sock yarn is now superwash. The yarn itself is very much like Vesper. In a blind knitting contest (which may be a little difficult) I would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
Here's a quick comparison of Vesper and Sunshine Yarns:
- Vesper can be difficult to get; Sunshine Yarns is available rather regularly.
- The yarn textures feel very similar.
- Vesper self-striping yarn is not superwash (though I think Vesper is now coming out with some non-self-striping superwash sock yarn); Sunshine Yarns is entirely superwash now.
- Vesper's color combinations are very cool (Strange Little Mama is hot); Sunshine Yarns has been coming out with some terrific colorways of her own (not to mention her Harry Potter inspired colors).
- Both have self-striping colors as well as variegated.
- Prices are equivalent.
- Stitch definition appears to be the same with both.
My final conclusion is that if you don't have the patience or luck to get your hands on some of the Vesper yarn, Sunshine Yarns is definitely worth a try.
***Knitting GROUP is tonight at the Borders' Cafe in Wilmette (corner of Lake & Skokie). We meet from 6:30 until 8:00 and any knitter is welcome!***