Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Story of the Green Cable Rib Socks

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my Carol Green Cable Rib Socks just needed a toe and they would be complete. Ah, but that's not the whole truth. I ran out of yarn 10 rows from the end. I was like Icarus flying too close to the sun, confidant in my thinking that with my size 10 feet I too could still have an 8 inch leg. As I started decreasing, around and around, I knew I wouldn't make it. I had barely made it through the first sock's toe. Rather than shortening the leg of the second sock I stupidly boldly went forward. The moral of the story- nope, I can not have a toe on a sock if I want an 8 inch leg section.

Despondent, I debated using some scraps from the random leftover Lorna's Laces I have, but I knew I wouldn't be happy. So, I started thinking about ordering another skein, but I couldn't bring myself to pay for a whole hank when I just needed a few yards. Then I got silly. I blogsearched for another sock knitter who had used this yarn with hope that there would be someone out there with some scraps I could buy. I found someone. I left a hopeful comment and she wrote back a few hours later. My hero! At no cost, she sent me enough for me to finish my sock! Wow! Thank you so much, Adrienne/Skwerl Girl:) You saved the day...

Cable Rib Socks

Pattern: Cable Rib Socks from Interweave Knits Spring 2005
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Carol Green
Needle: Bamboo double point needles, sizes 1 and 0. Gauge of approx. 9 stitches per inch on the 0's.
Start Date: June 14, 2006
End Date: July 12, 2006
Comments: I adore these socks! They fit perfectly, they feel incredible, and they look fantastic. I adjusted the pattern slightly as I was knitting at a smaller gauge and I have a bigger foot so I increased the cast on. Unfortunately, I did get a little overconfident (8 inch leg, 10 1/4 inch foot...) and barely had enough yarn for the first sock. On the second sock I somehow ended up with not even enough yarn to finish the toe (not sure if the skein was slightly smaller or I knit a little looser - we may never know). Luckily, Skwerl Girl saved me! Hooray! May the knitting gods always smile upon you:)

*As a side note, these socks will not count towards my six sock pair insanity for July as they were part of my June goals.

7 comments:

Kaitie Tee said...

Your socks look great. I wear a size 10 too so I feel your pain. I'm always glad I'm not an eleven though. Imagine the difficulty finding shoes!

What did knitters do before blogs? Your sock would have doomed for sure.

aija said...

Awesome!! Yay for Skwerl Girl and your new socks! :)

Anonymous said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!

I actually went to TBF for that issue of Interweave because I loved the sock when you were knitting it at Group. (nice run on, huh?)

I was thinking of doing it in the wine color yarn I dyed.

Skwerl girl rocks!

Anonymous said...

Dang Alyssa, you were so smart to search for another blogger using that yarn & so lucky to find one. And those socks aren't counting towards your 6 pairs in July???

sheep#100 said...

I can see you now.

kathy b said...

You may as well have won the lottery Alyssa. The socks look amazing. Great great job. Will miss this week coming, as well. The next GROUP I'll be there!

Abigail said...

I'm so glad that a blogger pal resuced you! Horay for bloggers.

I use a lot of Lorna's Laces and I mean a lot. If you every run short again let me know I might be able to help you out. I have lots of bits left over.