Monday, May 14, 2007

It Was Like Knitting a Sock for Bigfoot

Thermal
Pattern: Thermal by Laura Chau
Yarn: Knit Picks Gloss in Dusk (9 skeins for the 40 inch size)
Needles: Knit Picks circular and double points size 0 (2.0 mm)
Start Date: February 18, 2007
End Date: May 8, 2007 (89 days!!!)
Comments: Sock yarn. Size 0 needles. Waffle stitch. Sounds like a sock, doesn't it? No. Instead it is the most fabulous sweater I have ever knit. Even though the number of stitches involved is equivalent to knitting Bigfoot a pair of socks, it was all worth it. This sweater rocks! The only downside is that it's 90 degrees outside and that is just not silk/wool sweater weather. Guess this top will have to wait for an Oregon premier this winter (maybe by then I'll find a good tank top to wear under it). :)

Overall this was a wonderful pattern and a great use of a lightweight yarn. The Knit Picks Gloss knit up beautifully and I'm very happy with the color I chose. I knit the 40 inch size knowing that my 42 inch bust would be decreasing as I worked out the last couple months. Sure enough. I'm now a 39 inch bust and the sweater fits very well. No changes to the pattern. I did everything it said. After knitting with this minuscule gauge, I'm off to knit a sweater in worsted weight!

The smaller pics are close-ups of the shoulder seam/collar and the new, improved buttons.

14 comments:

Emma said...

Wow, it looks great. I admire your stamina!

Kaitie Tee said...

Great sweater! It looks fantastic on you.

Kim in Oregon said...

Beautiful job! And you'll be able to wear it during your first month in Oregon, regardless of when that is!

Octopus Knits said...

Great job! Thermal is gorgeous! I'm working on Wicked right now. It's been fun so far -- I think you'll enjoy it.

Kris said...

Oh WOW, it's beautiful!

I casted-on for my Thermal this weekend...it sure isn't going to be a fast knit;)

Thanks for sharing!

Sarah Ditum said...

I just commented on the board but I'm so impressed I wanted to comment here too. It's wonderful. Everything about it is just right - the colour works particularly well.

mle said...

Wow, wow, wow!! It looks terrific on you!! Your persistance really paid off. I love it!!

knottygnome said...

i admire your patience. it looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What stamina and patience you have. It's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

It really rocks!

Kimberly said...

I thought this was a pretty top when I saw it on Knitty. It looks very nice on you.

Congrats on the weight loss! It's got to feel good to set goals and achieve them.

Molly said...

It looks fantastic! I love that color, particularly--really flattering. And your seams look wonderful! I know what you mean about wanting to wear it and not being able to--mine's in alpaca/silk, so I'll be waiting longer than you, probably. Sigh. At least you can set it on a table and admire it until then, eh?

Batty said...

It's beautiful! Fits great, and anyone who can keep at least relatively sane with all that ribbing has my deepest respect! I thought Tempting was going to drive me nuts, but this one has full-length sleeves.

Kim in Oregon said...

After several weeks of stalking 'A Swell yarn Shop" I finally got my own skein of Sailor Girl! So psyched!