Friday, March 03, 2006

Tigrrrrrrr Socks!

Opal Tiger Socks

Pattern: My own with the help of Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns, 3x1 rib

Yarn: Opal Rainforest in Tiger

Needle: Bamboo DPN's in sizes 1 and 0

Start Date: January 11, 2006

Finish Date: February 28, 2006

Comments: As I knitted I really enjoyed the color striping, but I found the yarn a little scratchy. I was nervous they would not soften up too much, but the night M washed them he pulled them out of the laundry basket and declared they were "so soft." Wooo, that's a relief. I didn't want him tromping around in scratchy socks! He wore them yesterday for the first time and told me they were great. Yea!

Oat Couture Prairie Blanket

I am continually amazed that a box of simple yarn can become something. Above is the Cascade Sierra in Lavender that is on it's way to becoming a blanket to keep my friends' baby cozy. I'm using the Oat Couture Prairie Blanket pattern and so far so good. The Sierra is pretty nice to knit with, but it's a little splitty. However, unlike straight cotton, this 80% cotton, 20% wool blend has a little more give so it's not killing my hands. Now, let's just see how quickly I can knit this up! Oh, and does anyone have any experience with machine washing and drying this yarn? I've heard it does well....I hope the rumors are true:)

Dublin Bay Sock in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Seaside

Yep, it's another sock. This yarn is so incredibly nice to work with and the striping effect is pretty neat. It's difficult to photograph the lace panel, but I assure you it is there and it is very pretty:) This pattern also has my favorite heel flap - the Eye of Partridge. It's a regular slip stitch heel flap, however the slip stitch rows are shifted so as to create a pattern (it really looks best when you are using variegated yarn). I'll take a close up heel flap picture tomorrow as it is a little hard to see in this one.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm interested to hear what you think of the Cascade Sierra in the end. I'm on a an endless quest for cotton yarn that doesn't drive me crazy!

Chicago Jen said...

Okay, Lys, you're probably goign to send me packing for suggesting this, but how about making a swatch and washing and drying it just like you expect the intended recipients to do? {shrinking back} Don't slug me!! {grin}

kathy b said...

Alyssa

Tiger socks.....I have to: their Grrrrrreat.
One lucky baby. Cannot wait to see it finished.
Dublin Socks.... will you finish by St. Paddy's day?

Mothlady said...

As usual, you've chosen very beautiful colours :) Sierra interests me too, so I'll be waiting for your final review.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the Opal softens up. The baby blanket is going to be very soft and a future heirloom.